International Day of People with Disability – 3 December
IDPwD is a United Nations observed day aimed at increasing public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability.
International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD) is held on 3 December each year.
IDPwD is a United Nations observed day celebrated internationally. It aims to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability and celebrate their achievements and contributions.
IDPwD is an opportunity for us to make positive changes to the lives of the 4.4 million Australians with disability.
As an individual, school, community group, business or organisation, there are many ways you can get involved and promote inclusion in your community.
The theme for IDPwD 2021 is ‘Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world’.
The Australian Government has been supporting International Day of People with Disability since 1996 and provides funds to promote and raise awareness of the day and support activities around Australia. This includes encouraging individuals, schools, community groups, businesses and organisations to get involved and hold events on, or around, 3 December.
Our work also extends beyond 3 December and aims to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability. We do this in a number of ways:
- Sponsoring national awards, events or activities that showcase the achievements of people with disability and help promote inclusion across Australia. Read more about our partners
- Championing the lives, talents and achievements of people with disability through storytelling and the support of our ambassadors
- Educating the community about the barriers people with disability face and how we can work together to break down misconceptions and encourage inclusive attitudes and behaviours.
- Building a community for people with disability, their families and carers so they feel represented and celebrated.
- Sharing resources and information from a range of disability organisations to support the sector and provide information to people with disability.